Monday, September 8, 2008

Grocery Day!

Alright, I'm going to let you in on a little secret, one that shows my true geekness to the blog world with just 4 words....I love grocery shopping.

Seriously I do. I could grocery shop everyday and be totally content. Which was really bad when I worked at a Goodlife Gym located inside an Atlantic Superstore -- I used to shop every day on my way home from work...so much money out the window from lack of planning on those trips!

My favorite thing to do is to go late at night or early in the morning when noone else is in the store, pop in my IPOD and grab a cart and wander around the store, looking at new foods and thinking up new cooking ideas. It truely is a calming experience for me (crazy I know)

That being said, I hate shopping with a list, I'd rather just pick things up that look good and that I'd like to try. However this kills our grocery budget, because I end up either
a) getting things we already have
b) getting to much andwe end up throwing tons of food out, which is one of G's biggest pet peeve.


Since we've been trying to keep our grocery budget down to 80-100.00 every week, I've started to shop with a list as a result. Which sucks! But is saving us tons of money, so I guess I can't complain TOO much. And I still pick up the occasional fun food that catches my fancy - so not all fun is gone.

We got back from PEI today and our fridge was empty. G was working the night shift, which meant I was left alone to grocery shop to my hearts content!

Here is our loot:



Produce etc: organic baby romaine, bananas, red and green pepper, green onions, celery, red onion, vine tomatos, high bush blueberries, onions, shallots, avacado, shelled edamame, golden delicious and red delicous apples, green seedless grapes, and one huge thing of peanut butter





Everything else: skim milk, reduced sodium chicken broth, goat cheese, lite sour cream, tomato paste, can of diced tomatoes, can of corn, can of black beans, can of frozen oj (for recipes), lemon juice, lite cream (for butter chicken), yoptimal yogurt, egg whites, fresh mint, whole wheat pitas, whole grain cinnamon raisin PC Bagels, Dempsters Honey Wheat Bread (on sale, so I bought some for the freezer), Litehouse Honey Dijon Yogurt dressing (a new find that looked interesting)


mmmm, I can't wait to start cooking. Tonight I'm making a chunky chicken salad with cranberries and orange and pecans. Dinners for this week include imitation butter chicken, bruchetta pasta, and greek chicken skewers.

Yay for healthy eating!

No comments: